Monday, January 11, 2016

RIP David Bowie


Rarely am I so affected by the news of a celebrity's death that I burst into tears instantaneously when I heard the news. That's how much David Bowie meant to me and to the world. This was a legend, an icon, a visionary, a hero, not only for pop music and rock n roll, but for anyone who ever dared to be different, a voice for the weirdos, freaks, queers, and outcasts. This was a man who didn't care what people said or how they received him because that's what being a true artist is all about. This was a man who paved the way for the glam rock and punk movements, and countless musicians across all genres. This was a man who challenged the status quo, who lived fearlessly regardless of society's taboos (i.e androgyny, sexual identity, and interracial dating). This was a man who took music to another level by not only having themes and characters for each album, but by completely reinventing himself time and time again over FIVE decades. Each of his many projects were profound in some way. Yet in interviews he was always kind, humble, and maintained a great sense of humor with a cool, calm demeanor. He refused to let any one identity define or constrict him, as he was constantly evolving and innovating. He changed the game and made that okay. This tremendous impact has touched millions on a person level, including me.

I guess the reason I was so emotional is because in a world of mediocrity, I still cherish real artists, individuality, originality, self expression, and aunthenticity. David Bowie was as real as they come, and they just don't come like this anymore. He's one of those people you think will just live forever, because he simply has to. So this really rocked me to my core. His music (especially Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs) changed my life, and I will forever be grateful for all his incredible contributions and his brilliant legacy. The world took a great loss when he left. Sending love and light to this starman in the sky. ❤️


When you rock and roll with me
No one else I'd rather be
Nobody here can do it for me
I'm in tears again
When you rock and roll 

No comments:

Post a Comment