Sunday, July 12, 2015

Confessions of a Former Goth Girl


I have a love/hate relationship with my generation. One of the things on the love side is how open-minded and free we are. I love that we have tattoos, dye our hair pink and blue, and express ourselves by any means. However, I can’t help but “feel some type of way” about some of the fashion trends I have witnessed over the recent years. While shaving the sides of your head, getting facial piercings, and wearing rock band tee shirts is super hip now, I vividly remember the day when these things made you a complete social outcast.

A lot of people may not know this about me, as this hasn’t been something I talk about openly or very often, but… I once went through a “goth” phase. And I’m not talking about Hot Topic kids that listen to Marilyn Manson goth, I’m talking the real thing (yes there’s a difference, and you’d have to really be goth to know it….). This wasn't something I found and got into, it was something that found me, undoubtedly due to the influence of my dad. While I have never doubted his love for me, during my elementary school years he was really self-involved and going through this rock star lifestyle. He wasn’t the kind of dad that helped me with my homework or showed me how to ride a bike because he was out late with his friends drinking and partying. Nevertheless, I totally idolized him. So the fact that he had long black hair, wore lots of black with skulls and silver jewelry, hung out with leather-clad bikers, and listened to heavy metal along with some industrial and goth, really appealed to me. Some of the fondest memories I have of him actually spending time with me include being about 6-7, riding in his backseat with "Bela Legosi's Dead" by goth rock band Bauhaus playing loud, and its chanting of "undead, undead, undead..." echoing in my ears. To this day, he will laugh and tell the story of how he’d come home late at night (or early in the morning) and find notes I left him telling him that I saw Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer” video on MTV. Yes, the one with the infamous lyrics, “I wanna fuck you like an animal.” Parenthood at its finest.

When I entered my preteen years and was filled not only with hormones but also with angst over the unfair hand of life I'd been dealt, this music cradled and soothed me in ways my broken home never could. It certainly didn’t help that my dad took me to my first real concert in 7th grade, which was goth metal band Type O Negative. That was it. I was hooked. All I wanted to wear was black clothes, boots and dark red lipstick. All I wanted to do was sit in my room and engross myself in all the underground goth music I could get my hands on. The age of 14, from 2001-2002, was the peak for me. I got my first tattoo (a band logo for Type O Negative coincidentally) and my lip pierced. I shaved both sides of my long black hair into a Mohawk. I started smoking by stealing my dad’s cigarettes. I got a fake ID and took the metro to goth clubs with my friends. I went to New York to find more goth records and funeral inspired clothing. I found beauty in cemeteries and horror movies. It consumed me in every way.

While the music was a huge part of it and is something I still listen to and enjoy to this day, that wasn’t all of it for me. It was truly about embracing the darker side of life. It was a coping mechanism for the pain I felt from being a child bounced around from one family member to another, and never having a happy family like the other kids at school seemed to. After never truly fitting in or being accepted by other kids, this scene welcomed me with open arms. I could express myself and the dark emotions I was dealing with. I could drown my sorrows with chain smoking clove cigarettes and listening to bands like Christian Death and Southern Death Cult. I could go down to my favorite club, Nation, and get drunk with my spooky friends and dance like a weeping widow. It may sound kind of corny and silly to many, but honestly it was FUN. I had the time of my life. I truly do not regret one single thing about any of this. Eventually I grew out of it and wanted to be tan and wear bright colors again. But this subculture will always be a part of me and it made me who I am. Deep inside there will always be a little goth girl in me.

Looking at me today, you may never guess this about my past, or that I still listen to this music all the time, even if I still wear dark lipstick and prefer to wear black most of the time. I take pride in being a very multi-faceted person with eclectic tastes. However, last October a friend of mine invited me to this DC Fetish Ball event and it brought back so many memories. It had been more than 10 years since I stepped foot into a goth club, but nothing had changed. Everyone still danced by themselves and had a ball, regardless of how they looked. People were still friendly and non-judgmental. The fashion was still divine. And the music was still damn good. It revived a little piece of me that I hadn’t seen in a while. It felt amazing.

However, I can’t share all this without also sharing the repercussions that this alternative lifestyle had on me at the time. Not only was I stared at everywhere I went and teased relentlessly in school, but some kids even wanted to fight me and kick my ass just for being different. My family thought I was in a cult and constantly ridiculed me. My dad, the very person responsible for this entire ordeal, was so freaked out that he took the doorknob off my door so I could no longer hide what I was doing. These things only reinforced the disdain I felt for the conformity society expects of its sheep, and of course made me rebel even more. I’m sure that any goth person, or person who doesn’t fit in, can tell you that unacceptance is easy to brush off and get used to, but it truly kind of hurts. People can be cruel, and it sucks that they really treat you like a monster if you’re not like them.

Fast forward to 2015, a time when rock n roll and being a bad ass is cool, so corsets, leather jackets, black lipstick, neon colored hair, septum piercings, ripped up clothes, S&M, and combat boots are all IN now. I honestly wanted to die when I saw Kim Kardashian wearing a fucking Metallica shirt. To be quite frank, it just pisses me off. Back when I dared to be an individual before a majority of people wanted to too, I got hell for it. But now that it’s trendy, it’s okay. Even though these things mean nothing to the people who rock them nowadays (besides a fashion fad that will pass one day), they were the very same people who used to bully us goths for being freaks. Oh, the irony.

So while I am glad people have minds open enough to wear edgy clothes and express themselves, in many ways it’s still equally as repulsive and disturbing. My only hope is that perhaps acceptance will soon be the new norm, and the gothic subculture will get credit for being as awesome as it actually is, along with any other group traditionally outcasted by society. Wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment