Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Birthday Recap




This past weekend I celebrated my 28th birthday. I wanted to take a minute and recap what I did, but also share a reflection that I thought was pretty significant.
First, I held a dinner a few nights before my actual birthday. I had been dying to try a Moroccan and Lebanese restaurant in downtown Honolulu that I found out about, called Kan Zaman. Being of Moroccan descent on my dad’s side, I was curious to see how authentic this place would be and how they were representing Mediterranean culture all the way here in Hawaii, halfway across the world. Overall, it was a great experience. The food, including hummus, braised lamb and couscous, was pretty good. The Moroccan mint tea and the entertainment provided by the belly dancer were definitely highlights for me.
Then on Saturday, the day of my actual birthday, I rested and relaxed all morning. Later on, some friends and I attended the Mayjah Rayjah reggae music festival at the Waikiki Shell. I was super excited about this as it’s supposed to be one of the best events of the year. It definitely did not disappoint! I had such a fabulous evening camped out on the grass hearing great reggae music from not only local Hawaiian bands, but some from the mainland, New Zealand and even Tarrus Riley from Jamaica. Between sets, there was an amazing DJ that definitely had us turning up to the fullest. I totally didn’t expect to dance my butt off like that! The crowd was awesome and the vibes were perfect. I truly enjoyed it and couldn’t have spent my birthday more perfectly.
Finally on Sunday, a bunch of coworkers and I held a big beach BBQ at Bellows Beach on the east coast of Oahu. The food was great, the turquoise water was gorgeous scenery, and despite a couple people getting stung by Portuguese Man o’ Wars, we all had a great time.
Although every weekend here in Hawaii is pretty freaking amazing, this weekend was particularly special. While some get bummed out about birthdays and aging, I embrace it. I view each birthday as a significant milestone, a great triumph to have survived another year of life and a reason to celebrate. More importantly, a birthday is the perfect time to reflect on where we’re at, how we’ve done over the past year, and also where we’re headed. I understand that honest self-reflection is not easy for many, but it can be a powerful tool in setting and achieving goals. For me, it’s absolutely essential.
This year in particular has been one of many accomplishments and great change for me. But honestly, I can’t ever remember being in such a good place as I am now. Hawaii was a good move for me, not only for obvious reasons, but because it is a very conscious place which has directly facilitated a lot of progress spiritually. I have been on this path to a higher consciousness since 2011, but it wasn’t until now that a shift occurred which really rocked me to my core. After just six months, I feel so much more awakened. I see such a change in myself that I feel like a totally different person with totally different priorities. I finally really found myself and my purpose in life, and I look at things totally different. I feel like a big hippie, but it feels really good.
In a way it’s kind of tough because I feel so disconnected from the mainstream and I can’t really relate to most people anymore. While many I know still care about designer clothes, material things, hitting the club, physical beauty, reality TV, gossip, and relationship drama, I now find those things so trivial and unappealing. I am focused on attaining knowledge, understanding the universe, connecting with nature, utilizing the law of attraction, meditating, holistic health, reading enlightening books, and all the other “new age” stuff that people laugh at or don’t think twice about. I am contemplating my future as an entrepreneur in ways I never even expected, re-discovering my passion for writing, and also exploring ways to network with like-minded folks who embrace consciousness and the truth I’ve come to know. But the most important thing is that I truly stopped caring about what other people think, pleasing or impressing anyone, or validation from others. I have finally fully accepted myself, who I am, and that I have never and will never really fit in. I now embrace it.
I know life will never be perfect or always filled with this peace and love and happy hippie stuff. I have a long way to go and still have a LOT to learn. There are still plenty of things I wish were different or areas of my life I would change if I could. In fact, I am quite sure that will always be the case. But this crossroad that I’ve reached is so profound. I thought I had it all figured out and was moving in the right direction, but it took moving out here to realize that no, this isn't all there is. There's more. And it's just below the surface. I'm close to getting where I'm destined to be. So I'm going to push myself until I find it. It feels great to be here in such a good place and on the right path. I am filled with gratitude each and every day, which will only keep the blessings rolling in. It all may sound silly or cliché to some, but I see it as huge leaps of progress and significant growth. The honest truth is I have never felt happier, more filled with joy and totally at peace. I find myself really living in the moment and therefore enjoy everything so much more.
So yes, this particular birthday was a big deal for me. It took me 28 years, but I’m finally comfortable with me and at a much higher frequency than ever before. I debated posting such a deep and personal reflection like this in my blog, but I figure the most that can happen if anyone actually reads this is that I will possibly inspire someone else, and if so, then it’s worth it. Everyone has their own path in life, and that’s the beauty of it all. For me personally, this journey has been filled with ups and downs, so things like this mean a lot to me. I don’t care so much about how much money I’m making or how many friends I have, but rather I am finding that true wealth is in spiritual evolution. Reaching this point has made me more proud than my degrees, my career, or anything else. Now I look forward to the future more than ever, and I believe that many others are reaching similar points too. There is no doubt that the collective consciousness of the world is evolving and reaching a higher level, as more eyes are opened each and every day. I have high hopes for many others to soon experience this glimpse of enlightenment like I have!

XOXO ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment