Monday, June 29, 2015

Aloha Aina Music Festival



Last night I attended the "Aloha Aina" music festival at Waikiki Shell. It was a great show with Hawaiian music and dance, as well as some reggae artists I really love. The purpose of this show was not just entertainment, but a great cause. To raise money and awareness surrounding the protection of Mauna Kea. At the end of the show, the entire crowd joined hands in a prayer chant. It was one of the most beautiful and powerful things I've ever witnessed. People coming together over what they believe in and stand for. I am so glad I got to experience, participate in and support this.

For those of you on the mainland who may not know, here is what's been going here in Hawaii. On the "big island" of Hawai'i, there is much controversy over construction of a new "thirty meter telescope" aka TMT. That is because it's set to take place on Mauna Kea, said to be the "tallest mountain in the world" and also THE MOST sacred land to native Hawaiians. These people are incredibly passionate and emotional about the whole ordeal, and have been protesting for months, even physically blocking entrance to the summit to prevent the construction project and getting arrested. Their standpoint is that the scientific benefits of this telescope do not outweigh the importance of their beliefs or the protection of their land, and that we should be focused on what's going on here on ground and all the problems we face with the environment, rather than up above in outer space. There are actually already 13 observatories on this dormant volcano, and while you may wonder what's the big deal about one more being built, tonight I saw hundreds of people in tears and praying with all their might... that's how much it means to them. This is a very spiritual place where their ancestors are buried and where the ashes of their recent family members are scattered. This was their land, or "aina", for many years, and it always will be. I never knew this until I lived here, but MANY Hawaiians do not even want to be a state and believe their aina was illegally occupied to begin with, much like the Native Americans on the mainland. Now, the one area they want to preserve is not receiving any respect or consideration. I can't imagine how anyone can brush this off. I'm not Hawaiian, but personally I would be devastated if a place so important to my people and my history was desecrated mostly for economic gain. Again, this is a case where people lack empathy. I believe that when enough people unite and demand to be heard, our elected officials should be listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment