Saturday, June 27, 2015

A Historic Day Indeed!



Today, June 26th, 2015, will always be a very important day in history books. That is because it is the day that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of same sex couples having the right to marry in all 50 states. The topic of gay marriage has been a very controversial item for the last several years, sparking much debate and dividing our country. However, for most of us who have evolved into appropriate 21st century mindsets and feel compassion for other fellow human beings, allowing two people who love each other to marry each other was a no brainer. So really, the first thing that came to my mind today when I heard the news was "FINALLY! It's about time!" Even still, this couldn't have come at a better time. In the wake of many police brutality and racism fueled incidents in the news recently, it's been easy to be discouraged in what our country stands for these days. We are all fighting the same war, which is the war for human rights. So when we win one battle in the name of equality, we ALL win. Homosexuals, transsexuals, minorities, immigrants, women, and all other groups facing oppression will benefit from each victory like the one we saw today. So yes, this moment was truly special to me and made me feel a sense of pride that I not only longed to feel, but one I needed to feel, as it gave me hope! We will get there one day, I know it.  But for now, it's just so amazing to know that no matter what, love conquers all in the land of the free.

No comments:

Post a Comment