Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Review: On the Run Tour



As previously mentioned in my last blog post, I had to make sure I post my review of the best concert I’ve ever attended in my life, Beyonce and Jay Z’s On the Run show. This absolutely deserved its own post. It was just…. EPIC!

As anyone who knows me is well aware of, I am a certified stan and obsessed freak of both Beyonce and Jay Z. So when I heard they announced that they were finally touring together, I was naturally ecstatic. My close friends all know I have been praying for this joint tour for a long time. I truly believe I claimed this into existence, but you can just thank me later….

Anyway. This show was the third time I’ve seen Jay Z live in just the last year alone and the second time I’ve seen Beyonce. And each time never disappoints. However, this time it was different. Seeing them perform together in a very artistic and movie-like presentation of love, pain and anarchy according to their longstanding rebel romance theme was…. simply beautiful. I have to say that the imagery presented and stage presentation was a highlight for me. I appreciated all the thought and effort that went into this to make it absolutely perfect. I also had amazing floor seats so I was totally in heaven being so close to my 2 favorite artists, to the point where I could actually HEAR Beyonce's voice when she came out on the plaform among the crowd. Whewwwww.





The crowd at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on that hot evening of July 7 was so ready for the Carters as they finally took the stage, opening up with their 2003 “Bonnie and Clyde” anthem. The perfect intro for the entire production. I counted at least 40 songs that were done all together, but I heard it was even more than that. Overall, it was a flawless mix of each artist’s greatest hits along with most of their collaborations. I absolutely loved hearing Beyonce perform Lauryn Hill’s “Ex-factor” as it’s one of my favorite songs ever. Her voice is impeccable as usual and her dancing and stage presence is just unbelievable. There is simply no way to describe it. I just don’t know how the woman does it. She must literally burn 10,000 calories each night. Everything flowed perfectly according to the theme too. Very tasteful and well done, but we’d expect nothing less from the royal couple.


It was interesting that their tour began just weeks after the controversial footage of Solange going HAM on Jay in an elevator, for reasons we will just never know. I have heard a lot of speculation about Beyonce’s convincing and tear-filled performance of “Resentment” in which she pours her heart out while wearing a wedding gown and veil. However, I’m not buying it. Beyonce is the ultimate entertainer and professional, who knows how to put on a show but only gives us what she wants us to have. Our Queen does a great job of keeping her shit on lock. And while she has given us more of a glimpse glimpses into her personal life lately than ever before, she still will never be the type to reveal her dirty laundry. We will simply never find out the real reason behind that altercation. She will continue getting her $2.5 million a night with her husband and keep it classy without even acknowledging or addressing the mishap, in true Beyonce form. 

Anyway. Despite the drama, the show must go on. And from the looks of it, the Carters remain completely unbothered. Another favorite for me was Beyonce’s many outfit changes, which seemed to take place between almost every song. She was not scared to show off her amazing body this time around, with several outfits revealing most or all of her fabulous cakes. And I was loving it. She is truly a work of art and an inspiration for all women. The set was absolutely stunning, with both vertical and horizontal poles as part of the tantalizing acts. My personal favorites were “Partition” where Beyonce did some very daring moves on a lounge chair as in the video, “Naughty Girl” where she literally bounced around in a thong, “Part II” which is my favorite of all the couple’s collabs, “Drunk in Love” where a playful Hov showed some PDA for his bashful wife, and “Haunted” which is not one of my personal favorite songs but I am a sucker for dark-artsy presentation and modern dance, so it blew me away. As for Jay Z, well he’s always incredible to see live and has great energy and stage presence. He’s got so many hits and keeps the crowd hype. What more can you ask for? I was especially glad he did one of my favs “Diamonds are Forever”. But… let’s keep it 100. Beyonce simply stole the show.

 Overall, this is a show you need to see in your lifetime. It was worth every penny and more. These two have simply outdone themselves. They even share some personal, never-before-seen footage of their super-secret wedding and some very special moments with their adorable daughter, Blue Ivy. Of course I was geeked. I left that concert with a high like no other that took about a week to wear off. It’s truly more than a concert. The Carters are not selling concert tickets, they’re selling an experience. On the Run is a movement. I am just glad I got to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment