Friday, April 6, 2012

My Insatiable Love for Beyonce






I have many idols and women I look up to in my life. Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama, and several others. I even have had this extreme obsession with Jennifer Lopez for my entire life that is definitely worth a mention. But when it comes to Beyonce Knowles, I am BEYOND a fan. I know she is one of the most popular celebrities in the world and it goes without saying that she is loved by millions. I also realize that when regular people like me become obsessed with celebrities, it’s a little silly. However, I cannot explain or express enough how much I love this woman. Yes, I have never met her, and no, I probably won’t in my lifetime (although I did spot her in Manhattan one time with Solange in 2005 and almost fainted). No, I do not know her personally, and yes I realize she is just a human being like anyone else despite her fame and fortune. But still, there is something about this woman that defies my logic and goes beyond my typical behavior and beliefs. It just is what it is. All I need in this world of sin is.... Beyonce.

The common word these days for what I have become is known as “stan”. This means an extreme fan that cannot be told anything bad about their favorite celebrity because they are unreasonably biased, almost to the point of brainwash. I accept this title proudly. In reality I just don’t see how anyone could NOT like Beyonce. I have actually sat there and tried to wrap my mind around that concept, to no avail. As Beyonce herself has stated in one of her songs, “there’s nothing not to love about me.” But I guess I can understand not liking her music, because people’s tastes in music vary obviously. I understand not being a complete psychopathic fan like myself and many others. But I do not understand one bit how anyone can deny her God-given talent or say that they do not respect her. That is just sacrilege.

Say what you want about her and have your opinions, but some things are just obvious facts in life. Beyonce can sing and dance like no other entertainer of our generation. We do not often see pop stars like Michael Jackson and Madonna who set trends and become so iconic and talented that they change lives. There are just some people who are clearly MADE to do what they do, and Beyonce Knowles was most certainly put on this earth to be a performer. She puts on an amazing show and gives it her all, singing her heart out while simultaneously dancing her ass off. You may not favor her work, but it cannot be said that she is not passionate about her music and her performances (which is becoming rare in this day and age where most are solely motivated by profits).

I will admit (because I am not THAT irrational) that she is not the best actress but I can see her progression with acting and appreciate that she’s tried new things besides singing. Her other business ventures, including a fashion line that embodies her family’s history, have been very successful, and she has broken records, won awards, sold out tours, and accomplished more in 30 years than most people could ever dream of. All the while she has made it a point to keep her personal life private and remain a meticulous woman with class and poise. Even her impeccable work ethic has been praised by posh legends like Prince. Despite being a megastar, she seems very genuine and remains well-grounded and humble. You can tell she stands by her family and holds herself to strict standards and high morals. I can also appreciate that Beyonce often tries to empower women, even in an industry where sex sells and dignity is often forgotten. She has managed to never appear cheap or tasteless no matter how revealing her ensemble… proving that you can be powerfully sexy without compromising who you are. She leads by example, both by staying out of scandals and by waiting to have a child until after getting married and aggressively pursuing her career. She has inspired myself and countless others to push harder in life and follow our dreams. In a world where talentless women often find fame just because of their looks or sex appeal, you cannot tell me Beyonce's credentials are not extremely impressive. I am not hearing it. So do I really need to keep going on and on? Because I really could….


I said all this to say one thing. Give credit where it is due. Beyonce specifically differentiates herself from other artists in many ways and sets the bars for other singers, celebrities, and women period. You may not like her, and you are entitled to your opinions, but I think that tearing down a beautiful woman who is making a difference in this world and sharing her incredible gift is just senseless. There is a reason she’s been so successful and has so many fans (and die-hard stans). She really is a special artist who has undeniably impacted the world and pop culture as we know it. And if I did not convince you with this unbelievably infatuated blog post, then clearly my persuasive writing skills are not as sharp as I have sworn they are since 7th grade. But it was definitely worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment