Tuesday, August 11, 2015

"Business for the Soul" Retreat


This past weekend (Aug 8-9, 2015) I attended a women’s retreat called “Business for the Soul”. It was organized by a new friend of mine, who is an amazing healer and a very positive, conscious person. She is also the President of the Honolulu Chapter of Femfessionals, a networking community for women.  So when she invited me to join, I was very honored and excited, especially because they were about to have their first ever retreat. A weekend full of business advice, motivational speakers, yoga, and food? Yeah! Count me in!

The event was held at the Lotus Hotel in Waikiki. Among a beautiful set up in the banquet room, about 20 women, both professionals and entrepreneurs, gathered for a day of enjoyment. We began with a light breakfast and lots of yummy tea and lemonade from one of the sponsors, Ulu’s Lemonade. After a welcome introduction, our fantastic speakers began their presentations, with topics as such as self-love and time management. Between speeches, we practiced yoga stretches and breathing techniques. We broke out into groups or worked with partners to complete several exercises which were really helpful for me, such as creating affirmations and writing our values and goals in order to construct a personal mission statement. So we got to interact with each other a lot and get to know each other, especially during our delicious lunch. We also got to do some group hypnosis to reinforce some positive affirmations and build confidence. Finally, at the end we all headed up to the penthouse suite that was rented out for us. We enjoyed some Absolute Vodka, another sponsor, dinner and cake, as well as spectacular views from the wrap-around lanai. It was a great way to bond and exchange many laughs.  

On the second day, we did an hour of yoga and heard a really powerful presentation from a member who has a non-profit that speaks out against domestic violence. Her testimony had many of us in tears, and her message was very moving. After a weekend of uplifting material, it was kind of a downer but still so important for us to discuss. She mentioned finding the positive and the lesson in every situation, and had us write down 10 things we appreciate about someone who we don’t like or who drives us crazy. This was pretty powerful, as it proves how you can always focus on the positive and forgive. During lunch, we began reflecting on the weekend and the connection we all established with each other. Then we all went around sharing our favorite inspirational quotes. Finally, each of us won at least one prize as our names were picked for different raffles. In a way, we are all kind of sad when it was ending but we all exchanged info and chatted a bit.

A day later, I am still in awe of what an incredible event this turned out to be. The positive energy was just SO strong! And it is still resonating with me even on the next day. The best part was that literally every single woman there was amazing and genuine. Most were local Hawaiians but even those of us from the mainland fit in and were welcomed with aloha. Everyone was supporting, accepting and encouraging each other, and all open to ways to improve ourselves and our businesses or careers. Each of us was able to share from the heart without any fear of judgment. I feel we all developed a great bond and really will keep in touch and get together every so often too. I left there feeling so good about the awesome new friends I made. It’s so important to be surrounded by an uplifting circle, and this is just what I was hoping and praying for.

Another huge takeaway was that I got so many great ideas for my future business and other endeavors. I feel that I have reached a crossroads in life, and as I embrace my true authentic self, I am more drawn to my creative and entrepreneurial sides than ever. I’ve always known that someday I wanted to start a business, and over the last several months I have been torn with trying to determine which direction I want to go in so I can begin putting a plan into place. The problem is I have so many passions, so it’s hard to narrow it down. However, this retreat brought me so much clarity and I finally had an a-ha moment about what I want to do. I could not be more excited.

Honestly, this was one of the most life changing weekends of my life and I am so glad I invested in myself by attending. I consider myself so blessed to have found this group and to have been a part of this unforgettable experience, so I just had to share. I’ve already had a friend all the way in New York messaging me about wanting to join a similar community in her area. It is so important not only for me but for all women to come together and stick together. While I have become more of a loner over the years, I still know how important sisterhood is for those trying to grow professionally, personally and spiritually. Not only do women in these kinds of networks look out for each other in the business world by promoting each other’s businesses, trading services, sharing ideas, and expanding networks, but we all prosper from our collective success and empowerment. Aside from the personal benefits I have discussed, I have no doubt that the legacy of this retreat will be absolutely remarkable with what all of us will go out to accomplish! And for anyone reading, I highly encourage you to attend a similar event or workshop when you get the opportunity to!

No comments:

Post a Comment